Sales Permit Information
As the regulator, Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) manages the Dealer’s and Salesperson’s Permit program.
A dealer is defined as a person who carries on the business, or holds himself or herself out as carrying on the business, of buying and selling motor vehicles or trailers, as principal or agent.
- Anyone carrying on a business as a dealer must hold a Dealer’s Permit from MPI that is valid for up to five years.
- The fee is $600.
- Click here to download the Dealer Permit Application
- For more information, see the Dealer Permit Application Checklist
The Drivers and Vehicles Act defines a salesperson as “a person employed or otherwise engaged by a dealer to buy and sell motor vehicles or trailers or to negotiate to buy and sell motor vehicles or trailers on the dealer’s behalf.”
- Everyone employed by a dealer, or acting on behalf of a dealer, to buy, sell or negotiate the buying or selling of motor vehicles or trailers must hold a Salesperson’s Permit issued by the registrar (MPI).
- A dealer cannot allow a person to act as a salesperson for him or her unless the person has a valid Salesperson’s Permit in his or her possession that includes the name of the dealer.
- A Salesperson’s Permit is valid for up to one year.
- The fee is $35 at the time the application or renewal is submitted.
Applying for a Salesperson’s Permit
The test can be taken at either of these MPI locations:
- 1981 Plessis Road
- 234 Donald Street (City Place)
You can call the MPI licensing office at 204-985-8770 ext. 0937 if you have any questions.
The cost is $25 to write the test.
In summary, to get a Salesperson’s Permit you need to:
- study the MPI Salesperson Handbook (click to download)
- take the Knowledge Test ($25 fee)
- have an up-to-date Criminal Record Check (click here to use Sterling Backcheck)
- complete the Salesperson Permit Application (click to download)
- submit all to MPI and pay the $35.00 fee to apply
For further information call MPI at 204-985-0920 or email [email protected]